1. Banana’s are packed full of essential vitamins & minerals for healthy body and brain function.
One Medium Banana (120 grams) contains (% of daily requirement):
25% Vitamin B6
A nutrient essential for the bodies metabolic process, tissue repair, cell reproduction – in particular aids in the formation of red blood cells. Have you ever heard of riboflavin? often added as a booster in cereals – this is essentially vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is important in maintaining healthy brain and nerve function. In particular B6 has been shown to play a crucial role in the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. When our brains are depleted of dopamine and/or serotonin in particular researchers have found significant correlations with clinical depression, suicical ideation, and even reduced impulse control (low dopamine).
Manganese is a mineral that naturally occurs in our bodies (around 20mg) and is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants seek out free radicals in the human body and neutralise the toxic particles which would otherwise have destroyed healthy cells in your body. Manganese is essential for the normal functioning of our brain and nervous system. Manganese provides the body with many health benefits, such as: playing a role in the formation of connective tissues, supporting healthy bone structure and metabolism, absorption of calcium, healthy thyroid function and sex hormone production, regulation of blood sugar level and assists in the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates.
Potassium is vital for normal cell function and is found naturally within human body cells. Potassium is implicated in ensuring your heart beats normally, muscles contract and key nutrients are transported effectively around your body. Potassium is important for your blood pressure. Stroke victims have high blood pressure and often low potassium levels. Eating more banana’s can assist in lowering your blood pressure (in a diet with low fat and low salt) and help in the prevention of chronic disease.
Australian’s are recommended to eat at least 25-30g fibre every day! packing more fibre into your day will ensure you maintain a healthy digestive system and reduce the risk of bowel cancer, constipation, and haemorrhoids. banana’s are a great source of soluble fibre which assist in lowering LDL cholesterol, by slowing down digestion you feel fuller for longer and your blood glucose levels stabilse.
Copper is essential in building strong tissue, cellular energy production and maintaining blood volume. Copper is required to manufacture collagen – a major structural protein in the body and implicated in skins elasticity (take a stroll around David Jones Beauty counters and see how many products have collagen or herald the miraculous benefits of collagen on the skin and for its anti-aging properties. Why spend $200 on a cream which only combats the surface?! When you can enrich your diet with food that will cleanse & detoxify your body from the inside out at a fraction of the price? Nutrient rich food & dietary swaps which will save you a fortune! Eat well, exercise & who needs to spend $200 on a vitamin E cream (aka Avocodo or almond oil enriched cream – just eat a bloody Avocado and a handful of almonds for a greater effect on your beautification process 🤔).
Biotin is another B Vitamin (B7 and vitamin H) that plays a key role in the metabolism of sugars and fats. Diets low in biotin reveal impairments in the production of insulin – therefore it is an essential vitamin in balancing the bodies blood sugar levels.
2. Banana’s give you a sustained energy boost – Eat more banana’s to fight fatigue and soldier on! Why do you think Banana’s are a preferred fruit and dietary staple of top athletes and sportspeople?
3. Banana’s are excellent for weight management – With a high satiety index you will feel fuller longer and beat the cravings. Banana’s have zero fat and minimal sugar – perfect1 🙂
4. Banana’s have a low Glycaemic index at 52 – eating foods with Low GI help you maintain blood sugar levels. Foods with a high Glycaemic index such as chocolate increase your blood sugar and the risk of developing chronic diseases such as type II diabetes and obesity. Therefore Banana’s are an excellent option for people who are overweight or at risk of developing type II diabetes.
5. Banana’s are high in antioxidants – research has shown banana’s can assist in the reduction of oxidative stress in the blood. Yes oxidative stress ages you! One study has even shown banana’s help protect our nerve cells (which may one day have implications for research on Alzheimer’s disease).
So what are you waiting for?
Often we overlook the obvious! the small lifestyle changes that could give you a new lease on life and potentially save your life! So next time you reach for that chocolate bar or mid-afternoon snack of a pizza pocket opt for the big Banana instead – you’d be nana’s not to! 🙂
Endorsed by the Prime Minister of Australia – Tony Abbott
For Inspirational Photos on Vitality and other MADEINSYDNEY.net themes go to http://weheartit.com/KatJolliffe